Finding Balance While Losing One's Mind -- OR -- Where In My Contract Is The Part About Having To Pull My Own Kids' Teeth? -- OR -- Do You Want Me To Pull This Car Over Right Now? -- OR -- Just a Minute - I'm On The Phone!

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Press One If You're Calling About Your Cable Television... Press Two If You're Calling About Your High-Speed Internet...

My internet went out yesterday. My laptop is a persnickety diva with Dell DNA; if I close it to put it to sleep the wireless will be disabled when I reopen it, so that even if it tells me wireless is up and running I have to reenable it every time. Yesterday the wireless didn't come up and didn't come up and I kept at it like the proverbial insane person who tries the same thing again and again hoping for a different result because, let's face it, I couldn't think of anything else to do, until it dawned on me that maybe the cable was down. So I tried the desktop in my office and sure enough, the internet was down there too. And I patted myself on the back for being so darned resourceful.

Then I called Charter Cable and pressed one for this and three for that and four for the other and prayed for a real person before the system disconnected me; eventually I reached a woman's recorded voice that assured me I could speak to a real person if she couldn't solve my problem, and then requested I let her guide me through some preliminary steps. At this point I was to stop pressing one and three and four and two and speak my responses into the phone, and we all know how fluidly that always works.

The voice walked me through disconnecting and reconnecting my cable, and each time she finished an instruction she treated me to some musical hold until I announced I was ready for the next step. By the end of the conversation my new girlfriend and I had succeeded in reestablishing the internet connection, including a test of the television connection, and everything was sunshine and rainbows.

At this point the recording asked if the problem had been solved to my satisfaction and I assured my new BFF that it had; she pleasantly bid me goodbye and we tearfully parted ways.

I immediately redialed Charter and pressed all the numbers which would bring me directly to a real person, a guy in Customer Service. In his best monotone he inquired what he could do for me and I began reciting the details of my failed internet and my recent interaction with Ms. Recording; as I spoke I could sense the increase in his level of tension. Then I said: "I just wanted to tell a real person that your company has one of the best voicemail systems I've ever encountered and you should tell whoever designed it that they did a great job." He was so excited I thought he might fall off his chair. Clearly customers rarely throw them a bone.

Visit my web site, FeeFiFoto.com, for personalized photo gifts. We will put your photos on almost anything. Personalized photo calendars, mugs, handbags, jewelry, ornaments and porcelain plates make great gifts for Christmas, Hanukkah, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, birthday, anniversary, new baby and graduates.

No comments: