Finding Balance While Losing One's Mind -- OR -- Where In My Contract Is The Part About Having To Pull My Own Kids' Teeth? -- OR -- Do You Want Me To Pull This Car Over Right Now? -- OR -- Just a Minute - I'm On The Phone!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Countdown: 5...4...3...2...1...

At the risk of appearing seriously crazed or fundamentally alienated from my children, I'm delighted to announce: SCHOOL STARTS TOMORROW!!

For some reason I fail to comprehend, my kids' school begins nearly three weeks after some other schools in the area, which means that when people ask me how school's going and how the kids like their new grades I can only promise to let them know once school has actually begun. We went to a mall yesterday after a visit to the dentist and it was a ghost town populated primarily by the wraiths of recently returned-to-the-classroom squealing teenagers, snotty middle-schoolers and whiny children, as well as a few flesh and blood mall walkers evidently relieved to have the place to themselves again after three months of crowd-dodging. The same thing happened on a visit to a grocery store.

It's not that I mind having the kids off school. I love my kids and I love being around them; furthermore we had a terrific and unusually relaxing summer once we overcame the passport catastrophe. Still, those last few days are enough already: I'm tired of fighting about TV time and computer time, I'm tired of inventing entertainments, I'm tired of seeing them eat chips for breakfast because they got out of bed before I did.

I'm not sure why our school starts so much later than others. Maybe it has something to do with our unusually long school day of 7.5 hours, or the fact that we don't take a lot of miscellaneous days off during the academic year. All I know is the only schools I'm aware of that start later than we do are all preschools.

It could be worse. Last year the parking lot was being repaved and opening day was postponed until after Labor Day.

Visit my web site, FeeFiFoto.com, for personalized photo gifts. We will put your photos on almost anything. Personalized photo calendars, mugs, handbags, jewelry, ornaments and porcelain plates make great gifts for Christmas, Hanukkah, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, birthday, anniversary, new baby and graduates.


1 comment:

Sheila said...

Love your blog name. I'm here via Blog Village and I'm glad I found your blog. This is a transition year for me. My son is a college freshman--two weeks now. Your kids are starting later than many. I wish we'd go back to later starting dates after Labor Day. Hope they (and you) have a good year.