Finding Balance While Losing One's Mind -- OR -- Where In My Contract Is The Part About Having To Pull My Own Kids' Teeth? -- OR -- Do You Want Me To Pull This Car Over Right Now? -- OR -- Just a Minute - I'm On The Phone!

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Under the Spell of the HEX Codes

I've been redesigning and promoting my web site, (all the livelong day...) issuing occasional marketing blasts to my ever-inert mailing list. I wrestle with mailings (could that be referred to as "Wrestlemailia"?) reworking grammar, word choice, tone, grammar, look, color scheme, grammar, atmosphere and grammar. Did I mention grammar? As an inbred nitpicker I shift words and punctuation, change font sizes and colors, rotate graphics, take everything back to square one, then tiptoe through the HTML to eliminate all the extraneous WYSIWYG notations so the font doesn't mutate three times in the same section because the code's not sure which I prefer so it throws a bunch of choices at me and hopes something sticks, or that I simply won't notice that it's using Arial, Verdana and Wingdings all in the same paragraph.

As someone who doesn't know when to quit, I putter and add details until I've crossed the line into mucking things up, then I delete some stuff, then I add more stuff, then I change all the stuff around until I can't tell any more what's stuff's just enough or what's too much stuff.

Funny -- I often dress that way too. Add a scarf, a pin, a barrette, take it all off and replace it with a necklace, a headband and a belt, hair up, hair down, look in the mirror, shrug in despair and switch to blue jeans and a tee shirt.

Anyway, as I'm tweaking and freaking, I've been fiddling with color choices for the site and the marketing emails, because I got bored with the gentle blue and yellow color scheme developed for me by a group of expensive and knowledgeable web designers. So I began experimenting with accent colors, which I overdid, and ended up changing and altering and updating until I couldn't tell what I was looking at any more, and usually gave up and reverted to the yellow and blue by default.

Then, a miracle occurred (cue angels singing).

I discovered the color scheme site.

I can enter in the HEX code I'm using and it will provide a set of complementary and contrasting colors. And it works! And it looks good! And with the authority of an outside source, I now can add a little color accent here and a little more there in confidence that it won't blast anyone's artistic sensibilities to kingdom come and repel them from my site forever.

Okay. Stop laughing. Really, cut it out. So what if everyone else has known of this type of resource for years, maybe decades for all I know? Oblivion keeps me behind the times.

Visit my web site, FeeFiFoto.com, for personalized photo gifts. We will put your photos on almost anything. Put favorite photos on tee shirts, sweat shirts and baseball caps.

No comments: