Finding Balance While Losing One's Mind -- OR -- Where In My Contract Is The Part About Having To Pull My Own Kids' Teeth? -- OR -- Do You Want Me To Pull This Car Over Right Now? -- OR -- Just a Minute - I'm On The Phone!

Monday, September 17, 2007

Unexpected Uses for Children

Paid a visit to IzzyMom.com, one of those marvelous mom blogs that saves me the trouble of thinking my own thoughts and putting them into words. She writes about browsing internet sites looking for:

...moms to date. Well, not to date exactly but something like that. I want to meet them for kid playdates during the day and for grown-up playdates at night.

I’ve decided that I need to find some local friends as cool as the ones in the little white box on my desk (uh…that would be you guys). My closest IRL friends live in other states and my friendships here with other moms are mostly based on the friendships shared by our kids.

In other words, she's searching the internet for friends so she won't have only internet friends.

Thank goodness we have our kids to lean on! Before Robespierre was born, when I was slightly disappointed not to have someone to dress in a tutu and fairy wings (well, I could have, I suppose, but it would have attracted unwanted stares), I decided a boy might come in handy when he was old enough to program the VCR and do the heavy lifting; until that time I could use him as a paper weight.


But after he came along, and then Cleopatra-Queen-of-the-Nile two years later, I discovered an unanticipated benefit to having kids: instant community! Kindermusik -- check! Nursery school -- check! Gyminee -- check! Playgroups -- check! Turns out having a kid is similar to having a cute dog -- at the very least, it's a conversation starter.

And it turns out, they really can program the VCR and lift heavy objects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so pleasantly surprised to realize this the first time round with my oldest child, and now, with my youngest, I'm realizing I'm meeting a whole new batch of parents at these activities.

Such a great side benefit to parenthood. But wait, tell me more about this programming VCR type stuff that you speak of? I guess I have to wait until they are older than three and one? Because right now they UNprogram everything.

Call me ISHKABIBBLE (It's Faux Yiddish for: "I Should Worry") said...

OOOoooohh yes... When do they move from the dismantling phase to the mantling phase? When they discover a certain element of self interest in putting things together rather than taking them apart, you'll be in business, as long as you can harness that power for good and not evil.